Inferno destroys family welfare storeroom

STAFF REPORTER
IMPHAL, 23rd MARCH: Store room of the state family welfare office in Imphal was found engulfed in fire on Thursday morning. Interestingly, authority could not find out the cause of the fire as they ruled out electric short circuit as the cause.DDO of Manipur Fire Service Laishram Nabachandra, who was on his routine morning jogging, saw smoke emanating in the area at about 6 am on Thursday and rushed there with five fire tenders including a smaller one and doused the fire. Several vaccine-carrying bags, cold chain boxes and two types of syringes were completely burnt by the fire.

                Department officials declined to estimate values of the de-stroyed materials stating that they did not buy them but were provided by the Centre for official use. Meanwhile, sources ruled out possibility of electric short circuit as the like-ly cause of the fire as there was no electrification in the storeroom. Speaking to The Peo-ple’s Chronicle, Laishram Nabachandra expressed shock that there were no fire-fighting kits installed in the storeroom.

               Normally, every storeroom should be equipped with fire prevention equipment. Interestingly, no-body informed fire service about the fire incident. “It was lucky that we saw the fire during our morning jogging and we could salvage the situation from further destruction,” he said.He also appealed to gov-ernment officials and owners of storerooms or warehouses to adopt fire safety measures to prevent major destructions in cases of fire outbreak.


© 2016 - 2017 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.