Minister Nemcha launches DBT for 'life givers' in Manipur

DIPR/STAFF REPORTER IMPHAL, 3rd Feb: 
Social Welfare and Cooperation Minister Nemcha Kipgen launched the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), a maternity benefits scheme for all pregnant women and lactating mothers (PW&LM), through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) at her office chamber in New Secretariat, Babupara here Saturday.

It is a centrally sponsored scheme with 10 percent state share. The DBT for this scheme will be operational through the Public Financial Management System (PFMS), a web-based online software application developed and implemented by the Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA).

Speaking on the occasion, Minister Nemcha informed that the scheme has been launched through DBT with an aim to ensure timely transfer of benefits to the citizens by bringing efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and accountability in the system, so that benefits will directly reach the right beneficiaries through the individual’s bank accounts electronically.

Not only will the tiers involved in fund flow be minimised but the delay in payment of fund to the beneficiaries would be reduced and would also help to curb fund misappropriation and duplication, she explained.

The minister further informed that 90 per cent of the PMMVY scheme is being sponsored by the Centre while the remaining 10 per cent is sponsored by the state. The scheme is restricted to only the first born child per woman. In case of miscarriage/ still birth, the beneficiary would be eligible to claim the remaining instalment (s) in the event of any future pregnancy, she added.

The scheme also excludes any woman in regular employment with the Central government or state government or Public Sector Undertaking or those who are in receipt of similar benefits under any law for the time being in force. When applying for the scheme, the to-be parents must both provide their Aadhaar and bank account details, Nemcha added.

She also stated that the eligible beneficiaries under PMMVY will get a total amount of Rs 5000 in three instalments.

Rs 1000 will be received in the 1st instalment after first ante-natal check-up when pregnancy is registered and Rs 2000 in the 2nd instalment at the last trimester. For the 3rd instalment, Rs 2000 will be received after the 1st immunisation of the newborn, she said.

Informing that all eligible beneficiaries can start applying for the schemes from January this year, the minister also stated that for those mothers whose pregnancy was after June 15 of last year, they can apply for the 2nd and 3rd installment of the scheme.

Minister Nemcha further conveyed that the social welfare department had received 5000 forms till date from the Anganwadi workers which have been verified by Supervisor and Child Development Project Officer (CDPO) and out of which 1696 beneficiaries have been approved. The process is still going on to reach to all the deserving beneficiaries, she added.

The social welfare minister further announced that DBT will soon be implemented for various schemes/programmes under the Department of Social Welfare so as to ease the inconveniences faced by the beneficiaries. She also appealed to media persons to take the main role in conveying all the information regarding the various schemes launched by the State Government to the masses.

The launch function was also attended by commissioner (Social Welfare) H Deleep Singh; director Jacintha Lazarus; joint director Surrender A Shishak along with other deputy directors and officials concerned.


© 2016 - 2018 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.